How can we help you find your perfect cover?
Why Critical Illness Cover?
- Critical illness cover is bought alongside life cover, or on its own
- It pays out a tax-free lump sum - or income - if you're diagnosed with a serious illness or, in some cases, life-altering injury
- Depending on the policy it can also cover your children
Why expert advice makes the difference
- Different policies cover different illnesses - we'll help you choose what matters
- Like most things in life you get what you pay for and cheapest is rarely best. Our advisers find the best cover to fit your needs
- We'll advise how you can combine critical illness cover with another LifeSearch policy, or to complement any other policies you have
Watch our Critical Illness Cover video
Frequently asked questions about this type of policy
Critical illness cover pays a tax-free lump sum if you’re diagnosed with a critical illness during the term of the policy. You decide on the length of the policy: many people choose to have cover until their kids have flown the nest, until the mortgage is paid, or until they plan to retire.
Think of critical illness cover like car insurance: you pay every month or year for it and hope you never ever need to use it, but you feel better knowing it’s there. Just in case.
All critical illness covers include the main serious illnesses you might suffer from - coronary artery bypass, major heart attack, kidney failure, major organ transplant, multiple sclerosis, stroke and a defined set of specific cancers.
The list doesn’t stop there though, as plans can cover many more, along with cover tailored to your kids.
If you're unfortunate enough to need to make a claim, the insurer will assess your situation, and assuming your diagnosis meets the terms & conditions they will payout directly to you. We have a dedicated claims team to help you every step of the way.
Terminal illness cover pays out at the point you're diagnosed with a terminal illness, rather than when you're no longer here.
Critical illness cover protects you if you're diagnosed with a critical, but not necessarily fatal, illness during the length of your protection.
A quick guide to critical illness insurance
The low-down on protection insurance
Thinking about cancelling your protection insurance? Here’s what you need to know
Here we take a look at two popular insurance products and help you work out which one you might need
We think trusts are pretty cool! Find out our top three reasons why in this guide
We’re recommended by these huge brands to help their customers
Since 1998 we've protected more than 750,000 UK families
- Fee-free expert advice, free support services
- We hunt the market - insurers you know and some you don't
- We advise, we search, but you decide
- Multiple award winners for our customer service, culture and campaigning
- Trustpilot 'Excellent' year after year from thousands of reviews
47 years old - the average age of a claimant
Heart attack, cancers and stroke account for over 80% of claims