Keeping the kids safe online
26 Oct 2018
Be safe online. Below is a short list of rules that your kids' should live by whilst using the internet. Print them out and leave them around, place them by the computer or on the bathroom door. They will question why you’re being embarrassing but will see that you care!
- The majority of the people we come across online just want to have a chat, game, or share funny content. However, there are people out there who will lie about who they are and what they want from you. It is really important to pick your friends wisely.
- Always be careful when you upload any photos or videos, particularly if they are a bit embarrassing. Take a step back and think… If you wouldn’t want your Gran or even your teachers to see it don’t post it online.
- Be sure to keep your private stuff PRIVATE. Most apps, social networks and websites we use have privacy settings that enable us to choose what we share and who we share it with. Make sure the personal stuff you share is only shared with the friends you know face to face.
- Make sure you are careful and wary of what you chat about online. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been talking to somebody, you really don’t know who they are or exactly what they want unless you’ve met them face to face. Don’t share personal things like your phone number, where you go to school or where you live with anyone online.
- Remember… if anyone puts you under pressure to do anything you don’t want to do or feel uncomfortable with doing, it’s okay to say no. Stop the conversation and be sure to speak to an adult you trust, this could be someone at school or even someone in your family. You will never get in trouble and they will be able to help you.
Some interesting figures for the time young people spend online.
- 3 Hours = amount of time 7-16 year olds spend online each day
- 4.8 Hours = the time 15-16 year olds spend online
- 2.1 hours spent watching TV each day – down from 3 hours in 2000
- 60% watch TV via a phone, tablet or laptop
- 37% do most of their TV viewing on demand
Source: Childwise Monitor report 2016
Do you know your ASU from your IP
26 Oct 2018
Accident, Sickness & Unemployment cover vs Income Protection. We give you the lowdown.